Sometimes we forget that before we love others or even before other people love us, we must love ourselves first. It’s not an easy challenge to do for many of us, but there are ways to practice self-love. Loving yourself is not the same as being narcissistic or being a self-absorbed person. It’s a healthy way to appreciate yourself, accept the skin you’re in, so you can break out from your own limiting beliefs, self-doubt, and live a truly, full and happy life. To help you on your journey to fully loving and accepting yourself, here are a few ways to start practicing:
1. Begin each day by telling yourself a positive thing that you did or your positive trait. For instance, tell yourself how you did great in a situation, or tell yourself you’re looking pretty today. Anything that can make you smile.
2. Consume food and drink that nourishes your body.
3. Do not believe everything you think. Be aware of the inner critic inside us that keeps us small and safe. Don’t listen when it keeps you from living life to the fullest.
4. Move and exercise your body every day and love the skin you’re in.
5. Surround yourself with people who love, value, and appreciate you.
6. Never compare yourself to others. There’s no one like you in the world. The only person you can compare yourself to is you.
7. Cut all toxic relationships. Anyone who makes you feel less than the amazing person you are, do not deserve a place in your life.
8. Celebrate everything, even the smallest wins — pat yourself on the back for every achievement you have.
9. Move out from your comfort zone. You will feel good every time you try or do something you never thought you could do before.
10. Accept and love your unique qualities. Embrace all the things that make you different.
11. Know that beauty cannot be defined. Do not look up to photoshopped models in the magazines when it comes to your perception of beauty. You are perfect just the way you are.
12. Make time to calm your mind daily. Meditate, breathe in and breathe out and clear out mind of thoughts.
13. Pursue your passion. Do that one thing you are excited and scared to do.
14. Be patient and kind to yourself but be persistent. Loving yourself cannot be done overnight. For some people, it takes a lifetime. But keep on practicing self-love, and you will get there.
15. Practice mindfulness of everything you think, feel, and desire. Live your life the way you reflect on things.
16. Love and respect others. You will feel good about yourself when you treat others right. It doesn’t mean you will get the same treatment in return, but that’s not your problem.
17. Practice gratitude and find something you feel thankful for every day. Feeling grateful is an effective way to shift your energy and mind on what’s going on around you, even when you’re having a bad day.
18. Talk to your friends, families, and loved ones whenever you need help and going through tough times. You don’t need to face your problems alone.
19. You can say no. Remember, saying no doesn’t mean you’re a terrible person, it means you’re smart.
20. Learn to forgive yourself. If you’ve done something wrong, embarrassing, or something you regret, it’s time to let it go. You can’t undo the past, but you can always learn something from it and use it in the future.
21. Every time you’re filled up with overwhelming thoughts, write it down. Keep a journal and write all the thoughts you need the urge to express, no matter how crazy, random, mean, or sad. Then tear up your journal, or burn it, do anything just to let it all go.
22. Take time to be silent. Turn off your TV, grab a cup of your favorite drink, or coffee and sit in silence. Think about all the beautiful things you have, and the big dreams you will pursue, and how you will make them happen.
23. Remember what Dita Von Teese said, “You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.” So, never need other people’s approval.
24. Remember that you can’t be happy and positive every time. Be realistic. Be human, feel emotions, and make mistakes. It’s okay to be human.
25. Be creative in expressing yourself. Draw, paint, write, make music, do whatever you like, but leave your inner critic at the door. There’s no specific way to be creative.
26. Learn to let go of your past and traumas. You don’t need to carry the baggage all your life. It can be hard to do, but you can always ask others for help. Once you learn to let go, you will feel light and at ease, and you will get the life you deserve.
27. Go to your happy place. Find the place where you feel relaxed, at ease, calm and happy, and go there every time it gets tough. Visit it in your head, remember it, and the way it smells.
28. Every time you feel super happy, positive, and elated, write your best qualities and achievements. It can be an excellent reminder for you, especially during the less amazing days.
29. Train your inner dialogue. Get in touch with it and train it to be encouraging, supportive, and loving, just like how you talk to your sister, best friend or loved one.
30. Enjoy your life. Enjoy everything. Get out and have fun. Do the things that light you up. Enjoy being you and your incredible life.